Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Instruction In-Person Or Online
A class session with a librarian is a great way for students to become familiar with ECTC's library services and resources.
Librarians provide assignment-based library instruction or a workshop day for your students when requested. A shorter, general library information session is also available. Instruction is available for all courses, but it is best for instruction to be structured around an assignment. Instruction sessions may include library overview, research databases, library catalog, internet searching, evaluating sources, or other topics as requested by faculty.
- Schedule your session at a time in the semester when the students' need for information is pertinent.
- Prepare your students by reminding them of the instruction session.
- Participate in the session
- Faculty participation during the session helps students understand the importance of the session and can help bring clarity to research assignments.
Embedded Librarian Program
What is an embedded librarian?
- An embedded librarian is a librarian that is integrated into your Blackboard course who can provide research assistance and library instruction to students in online, hybrid, or web-enhanced courses. A librarian will be added as a TA to your course to respond to questions related to research or library resources.
- There are different levels of embedded librarianship, each customized to course and faculty needs. The librarian can be very active and present in your course or can be hands-off and passively available.
What can your embedded librarian do for your students?
- Instruction Sessions - librarian can provide a "one shot" library instruction session via Collaborate/Teams or can host open "office hours" for scheduled or drop in research help
- Course specific Research Guides or tabs in existsting guides - see History Guide as example
- Discussion Forums - librarians can participate in discussion forums to provide just-in-time help
- Resource Lists - Librarians can post course resources in Blackboard including pre-recorded videos and handouts about general research skills or tailored to a specific assignment.
Embedding can make librarians more approachable, and provides students with a convenient way to contact a librarian with questions, or to schedule a research appointment for in-depth help
Contact Katie Meyer at email@example.com or (270) 706-8443 to add a librarian to your Bb course.